We were tasked with carrying out surface preparation and painting of the structure for Henry Boot as part of the Amey Highways contract with Sheffield City Council.
The specification called for:
- A blast clean to SA2 and application of Highways Agency Items 115, 116 and 168 to areas of heavy corrosion which were identified, agreed and marked up with the client
- Mechanical preparation/hand abrading to remove areas of unsound paint down to sound coatings and hand abrade areas of sound coatings prior to application of Highways Agency Items 116 and 168
The works were carried out in 3 phases (one span at a time) and were accessed as follows:
- Parapets from the road deck
- Underside from client supplied pontoons
- Outside faces of parapets from client supplied scaffold
All areas were fully encapsulated and Company owned grit recovery vacuums, dust extraction equipment and sealed skips were utilised to minimise manual handling and environmental effects.
The works were carried out between December 2014 and March 2015 by a team of one SSSTS accredited supervisor and 3 ICATS accredited operatives under the guidance of one of our ICorr Paint Inspector and ICATS accredited Contracts Managers.
Approximately 2,700 m² of steel were treated for a final value of circa £100,000.