The works were scheduled to be completed by the end of 2017 and were in fact finished during November with a final value of circa £494,000. The programme involved multiple fluctuations in resource requirement and meant that our team size varied between 2 and 20 ICATS and/or CSCS accredited operatives, supervised by between 1 and 4 SSSTS certified supervisors. All onsite personnel and visiting management held PTS training certification, and some team members also held PASMA and IPAF qualifications. On occasions we were working on 3 or 4 stations at any one time, depending on progress of other trades involved in the refurbishment programme.
The contract was carried out using our personnel based on the south coast, assisted by HSQ&E and surveying support supplied by our Lincolnshire Head Office. Two Contract Managers shared the workload and both were ICorr Paint Inspector and IOSH Managing Safely accredited.
Access to work at height, including station canopies, was made via a combination of MEWPs and mobile GRP towers. All MEWPs were operated by a competent trained IPAF operator and all mobile towers were erected, checked and dismantled by a competent trained PASMA operative.
Each station had its own particular scope of work, calling for multiple specifications depending on the surface being painted. In summary these were:
M24 System for Steelwork
- Mechanical clean to ST3, followed by a patch coat of 7.1.5 Interseal 670 HS aluminium
- Apply 1 coat of 7.1.7 Interseal 670 HS
- Apply 1 coat of 7.3.1 Interthane 990
- Wash down to remove contaminates
- Apply 1 coat of Weathershield All Seasons masonry paint
Internal Exposed Softwood
- Apply 1 coat of Dulux Trade undercoat
- Apply 2 coats of Dulux Trade high gloss
External Exposed Softwood
- Apply 1 coat of Dulux Trade Weathershield exterior undercoat
- Apply 2 coats of Dulux Trade Weathershield exterior high gloss
External Plastic Coated Surfaces
- Apply 2 coats of Dulux Trade Weathershield quick drying exterior high gloss, first coat to be thinned 10% with water
- Apply 2 coats of Dulux Trade Weathershield ultimate wood stain